Infoworld gives OS 10.5 a glowing review. No one is unhappy with Mac OS X Version 10.4, known as Tiger. OS X is not an application platform (I bristle at using the term “operating system” for OS X; I explain why below) that needed repair, speeding up, or exterior renovation. Motivations for major upgrades of competing system software — roll-ups of an unmanageable number of fixes, because the calendar says it’s time, or because users are perceived to have version fatigue — don’t apply to OS X. Apple wields no whip to force upgrades because Tiger stands no risk of being neglected by Apple or third-party developers as long as Leopard lives. Despite the absence of a stick that drives users into upgrades of competing OSes, or perhaps because of it, Apple enjoys an extraordinary rate of voluntary OS X upgrades among desktop and notebook users. Why? People buy Macs because the platform as a whole is perfect, full stop. Leopard is a rung above perfection. It’s taken as rote that the Mac blows away PC users’ expectations. Leopard blows away Mac users’ expectations, and that’s saying a great deal.
July 2014 M T W T F S S « Apr 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
TagsApple canada Conservative Conservatives Dalton McGuinty David Miller Death dion election Environment Google green gta Harper jack layton John Tory Liberal Liberals Linux LRT mccain Microsoft NDP Obama Oil Ontario PC politics Prime Minister Public Transit Quebec racism rob ford Sheppard Stephen Harper Subway Toronto Transit City TTC Ubuntu United States US Vista Viva windows
- The Satellite Doctor on Cutting the cord through my over-the-air AppleTV and Netflix experience
- thegtapatriot on Poll shows that we want subways and we are willing to pay for it
- thegtapatriot on The Best Sushi in the GTA – Ajax, Ontario in Durham
- thegtapatriot on Keep it simple stupid Air Rail link options dead on arrival
- Katja on Stupid to the last drop – Alberta oil thirst leading to disaster
Top Posts & Pages
- The Best Sushi in the GTA - Ajax, Ontario in Durham
- Pros and cons of MMP
- Sheela Basrur, the cool voice of reason during 2003 SARS crisis, dead at 51
- John Moore on Spinning John Tory's troubles
- A list of all Canadian Political parties this election
- Bravo the Best Bakery in Durham Ontario - A Hidden Gem in Ajax!