Infoworld gives OS 10.5 a glowing review. No one is unhappy with Mac OS X Version 10.4, known as Tiger. OS X is not an application platform (I bristle at using the term “operating system” for OS X; I explain why below) that needed repair, speeding up, or exterior renovation. Motivations for major upgrades of competing system software — roll-ups of an unmanageable number of fixes, because the calendar says it’s time, or because users are perceived to have version fatigue — don’t apply to OS X. Apple wields no whip to force upgrades because Tiger stands no risk of being neglected by Apple or third-party developers as long as Leopard lives. Despite the absence of a stick that drives users into upgrades of competing OSes, or perhaps because of it, Apple enjoys an extraordinary rate of voluntary OS X upgrades among desktop and notebook users. Why? People buy Macs because the platform as a whole is perfect, full stop. Leopard is a rung above perfection. It’s taken as rote that the Mac blows away PC users’ expectations. Leopard blows away Mac users’ expectations, and that’s saying a great deal.
June 2016 M T W T F S S « Oct 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
TagsApple canada Conservative Conservatives Dalton McGuinty David Miller Death dion election Environment Google green gta Harper jack layton John Tory Liberal Liberals Linux LRT mccain Microsoft NDP Obama Oil Ontario PC politics Prime Minister Public Transit Quebec racism rob ford Sheppard Stephen Harper Subway Toronto Transit City TTC Ubuntu United States US Vista Viva windows
- Cutting the cord through my over-the-air AppleTV and Netflix experience on
- Poll shows that we want subways and we are willing to pay for it on
- The Best Sushi in the GTA – Ajax, Ontario in Durham on
- Keep it simple stupid Air Rail link options dead on arrival on
- Stupid to the last drop – Alberta oil thirst leading to disaster on
Top Posts & Pages
- “In #Canada better is always possible!” Justin wins majority.
- #LIVEBLOG: It’s election time Canada, so get out and vote! #CanadaVotes
- Android rolls out ‘on-body’ smart lock to foil device thieves – CNET
- Hackers may have exploited Sony’s weakest link: humans
- Time to vote #Toronto for something simple, radical or impossible!